In the meantime, the School of Music resides in the following buildings:
- Alumni Memorial Building (AMB)
- Dunford Hall – floors 3 and 4
- Health and Physical Education Building (HPER)
- Humanities and Social Sciences Building (HSS)
- Melrose Hall
George Devine Music Library
The George DeVine Music Library is in the Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) Building. The library houses an extensive collection of 80,780 items including 24,700 audio recordings, 2,525 video recordings, 26,550 scores and over 100 subscriptions to music journals. The library's resources include an online catalog of UT's collection, as well as online resources such as Groves Music Online, Encyclopedia of Popular Music, Oxford Performing Arts Dictionary, and 5 streaming audio databases.
Performance facilities for music students include the 977-seat James R. Cox Auditorium, the 382-seat Alumni Memorial Performance Hall II (room 210), and the 278-seat Alumni Memorial Performance Hall I in the Alumni Memorial Building (room 32).
The computer lab in Dunford Hall consists of 16 Apple computers each equipped with a MIDI Keyboard and software for music notation, ear training, marching band techniques, internet, and word processing. The computer lab in Alumni Memorial contains 8 computers equipped with software for music notation, ear training (practice only), internet and word processing. The computers and software are updated on a regular basis through the University Technology Fee funds.
Practice Rooms are housed in Melrose Hall and in Alumni Memorial Building near Room 50. These rooms are reserved exclusively for students currently enrolled in applied music at UT. They operate via an electronic locking system, which requires the use of Student IDs with magnetic strip for entrance. The ID will work only after the student has been assigned a lesson time and their applied teacher has turned in their name and ID number to the Choral Office, Room 2433 Dunford Hall.
Practice Rooms in Melrose Hall
Practice rooms with Grand Pianos (for piano majors):
- A100 (2 9' Concert grand pianos)
- A101, B101, B102, B105
Practice rooms with Pianos (1-2 people):
- B203, B205, B207, B209, B211
- C203, C205, C209, C211
- D201, D203, D205, D207, D209
Practice Rooms without pianos (1-2 people):
- B303, B305, B307, B309, B311
- C305, C309, C311
- D301, D303, D307
Chamber music practice rooms with pianos (4-6 people):
- B201, C212, D210
Chamber music practice rooms without pianos (4-6 people):
- B301, C301, C312, D309
Practice Area Schedule
- The practice room areas remain unlocked during the school day from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM, after which they are locked by the system for security reasons in the evening.
- After hours, the practice room areas are secured by a security system. They are locked at 5:00 PM Friday, and remains secured until 8:00 AM Monday morning.
- Practice room schedule may vary if there are special activities in the building (such as football games).
- All persons should vacate the practice areas by 10:45 PM. Persons not officially registered at UT are considered trespassers by Campus Police.
No smoking, eating, or drinking is allowed in practice rooms.
Music Learning Center (Tutoring Center)
Students have access to one-on-one tutoring to help them in music theory, ear training/aural skills, and musicology classes. Tutors are available for one time or continuous help.
Thursdays 12:40 pm – 1:40 pm
2341 Dunford Hall
For appointments/ongoing help: complete the Request for Tutor form.
Care of the Facilities
Students should be protective of all areas used by the Music Department as well as the equipment, library materials, and instruments. No student should permit others to be abusive, either carelessly or deliberately. Given the limited resources of the School, the smallest damage hurts everyone. Students are requested to report any items that require attention to the Director of the School of Music.
Students are encouraged to check their (or their parents') homeowners' insurance for the availability of an insurance rider which covers University-owned instruments and equipment entrusted to their care.